Search This Blog

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Cinderella Ate My Daughter & Enlightened Sexism

I am going to connect Orenstein, and Douglas to two articles we read in class. The two articles I am going to connect them to are Croteau's Media and Idealogy, and Raby's A Tangle of Discourses: Negotiating Adolescence.

First Orenstien, and Croteau.

Croteau's main argument is that media matters, and that media is an ideology. Orenstien makes a similar argument when talking about the impact that Disney princesses. Orenstien talks about how Disney movies, specifically Disney Princesses affect young girls. She uses her own daughter as an example of this when talking about the snow white example. Her and husband made sure that disney princesses did not appear in their house, but that did not stop their daughter from being exposed to them. This proves Croteau's point that media is an ideology and it matters. The messages that these princesses are teaching young girls are to be saved by a prince, and be taken care of. Disney is selling an idea.

Douglas and Raby.

These two articles talk about Raby's pleasurable consumption and the power of consumerism of the teenager. Douglas talks about her experience shopping with her daughter. She talks about ads on tv from Victoria's Secret that were aimed towards teenage girls, and objectifies women. I liked reading about her experience with her daughter at Abercrombie & Fitch. I could really relate to his because I remember dragging my mom into that store as a teenager because all the girls at school we wearing clothes from there, and I wanted to fit in. My mom hated that store, and did everything she could to not get me to wear any of their clothes. Raby refers to this discourse as pleasurable consumption. The teenage years are the ideal age to spend money and shop. Stores and brands produce these items so that teenagers will buy them. It is a never ending cycle.

It's funny reading these articles about "being a teenager" and remembering having similar experiences that the authors will talk about. I've never thought about how these experiences could've effected me at the time or even today. I'm glad I'm getting some new perspectives now.





1 comment:

  1. I agree that Croteau and Orenstien have the same argument that media matters and influence young girls and boys! I really like how you connected the articles!

    ReplyDelete