Search This Blog

Thursday, June 1, 2017

LANGUAGE + POWER = DISCOURSE

 So I decided to write extended comments on Bristol’s blog for A Tangle of Discourses: Girls Negotiating Adolescence by Rebecca C. Raby. I chose her blog to write about because I really like the quotes she chose, and I love her style of writing. I thought this would be a fun blog to write. Bristol chose three quotes spoken by one of the teenager’s interviewed named Vienna. I want to talk about the discourses related to Bristol’s blog. The whole idea of “coming of age” is messed up I agree. These three words hold a lot of power, and affect the way most people treat teenagers. Who determines when someone is of age? What does “of age” even mean? You can vote? You can drink? Do these things make you an adult? Bristol also uses a quote from Vienna where she talks about rebelling. This is where teenagers are seen as at-risk and may rebel using drugs, alcohol, start to have sex etc. The term rebel is another discourse associated with teenagers that has been around since the category “teenager” was invented. It was interesting what Vienna said, “a lot of kids rebel because society expects us to” (445, Raby). I think this tells us a lot about the power of language, and how discourses are used to influence teenager’s behaviors. 


Points to bring up in class: What discourses that Raby mentions most reflects your teenage experience? I am interested how my classmates personally related to this reading. I know when I was reading it I felt very connected to a lot of teenagers that were interviewed. 


4 comments:

  1. Love this post, Arianna! And super flattered you chose to write about my post. I agree with all of the points you brought up here; I hadn't really thought of the term "coming of age" and the connotations of it until this article, so it really opened my eyes. Great job!

    -Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post Arianna! I thought Bristol made some really good points in her blog as well & the video you linked to definitely shows the discourses associated with teenage boys (girls, getting in trouble, masculinity etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your picture has brought back memories on how it connects with now a days. You did an amazing job on making good point on Bristol's post. you linked the reading and the comment from the post amazingly.

    From Emily Twitchell

    ReplyDelete
  4. The power of language often goes unnoticed but its what shapes us and especially teens. The actions of teens are based of off what is expected whether that be rebellion or not. Great post!

    ReplyDelete